Lazy Weekend Canoe — Final Gunwale

The Lazy Weekend Canoe is officially a boat now.  I didn’t have much time to work on it this weekend, but I did get a chance to put on the final gunwale.  That was the last major piece that needed to be installed.

Actually, I think that I am likely to install a skeg on the bottom of the boat, so perhaps it wasn’t the last major piece.  However, the boat does finally look like a boat, and most everything I need to do now can technically be considered trim.

Yes, I know, it is all semantics, and I still have a pile of work to do, but I am feeling happy about my progress for a minute.  Please don’t harsh on my mellow.

Sam is impressed by the sheer number of clamps that I own.
Sam is impressed by the sheer number of clamps that I own.

My technique for installing this gunwale was a huge improvement over the last gunwale.  Like last time I dry fit the gunwale and I drove screws into the stem and stern posts so that I could orient the gunwale one I had added the glue.  However, with this gunwale I turned the boat on its side to help keep the glue in position and I did glued up the gunwale in pieces.

First I marked the bottom of the gunwale in pencil so that I could line it back up.  Then I removed half of the clamps (and the screw at the stem) and buttered up the boat with glue.  instead of trying to manhandle a flopy 16 foot 3/4 inch by1 1/2 inch noodle, which was covered in glue, I simply had to lift the gunwale up; squirt glue on the side of the boat, and then drop the gunwale back down and clamp it into place.  I started at the stem and worked my way to the stern.  The middle of the boat was a little tricky, as I had to lift up a lot of gunwale, but installing the gunwale this way was still a clear win.

I probably should have taken pictures, but it is hard to take pictures when you are gluing stuff down.

In the end the gunwale was installed and everyone was happy.
In the end the gunwale was installed and everyone was happy.
Spread the love