Edge Joining Plywood

This weekend was not the laziest weekend ever, but it did involve some work on my Lazy Weekend Canoe.  Although most of the weekend was dedicated to watching the kids as KaeLynn took Brooklyn to a dance competition, I did have a bit of time for boat building.  For one thing, I was able to edge join the plywood panels for the Lazy Weekend canoe that I am building.  I also got all of the marks made for where the seats go.  It turns out that there are some obvious problems with the plans.  The seat heights are switched for both the aft and forward seats.  The first version of the Lazy Weekend Canoe.

When I am done I am going to build a more comprehensive set of plans along with a detailed build manual.  If I use this design to go canoeing with my Scouts I will need plans that even a Scout can follow.  Plus, I am really motivated to share my experiences as I think that they will apply to a lot of people.  I imagine that lots of Scout troops (and other groups) would be interested in a boat that would carry two boys and enough gear for a few days of camping, and that can be put together in a few hours at a cost of just over $50 per boat.

A little progress was made.
A little progress was made.

I am a bit concerned about how I am going to fit these together.  The sides are pretty floppy, and the boat is wider than the saw horses I have.  I probably should build a solid frame that could be reused.  I could put the sides on the frame, clamp it down hard, attach the stems, attach the chines, and then finally put on the bottom.  Heck, with just the stems and the chines the boat should be stiff enough that I could move it around a bit.

Instead I will probably just end up duct taping the boat to a folding table.

Whatever I do, I will try and get some pictures so that you can learn from my mistakes and triumphs.

Spread the love