It has been nearly a year since I last posted here. I was right in the middle of finishing the Lazy Weekend Canoe when that project went off of the rails. That set back was not only discouraging, but it also wrecked my summer plans for the Scouts. Not only did I have to scrap the canoe, but it put me in a real time crunch as well as I scrambled to come up with alternative plans.
Continue reading “It Has Been A While”
I spent the last week at Scout Camp. In fact, I probably should write about that, but what I really need to is finish this boat. Part of the process, at least for me, is writing about what I have accomplished. Especially since writing about the boat has been instrumental in helping me make decisions about how to build the boat.
Continue reading “Lazy Weekend Canoe — Final Shaping and Preparation for Paint”
The Lazy Weekend Canoe is officially a boat now. I didn’t have much time to work on it this weekend, but I did get a chance to put on the final gunwale. That was the last major piece that needed to be installed. Continue reading “Lazy Weekend Canoe — Final Gunwale”
This week Eliza and Abby are competing in the clogging national championships at Lagoon. Brooklyn is competing next week, but she has classes that are competing this week. This means that most of my family is out of town this weekend.
I assumed that I would spend most of the day just watching Sam, but he’s slept enough that I have made some progress. In fact, the canoe has, at long last, gone 3D. Continue reading “Lazy Weekend Canoe — 3D at Last”
This week was a good one for progress on the canoe. I was able to fit all of the internal seat frames (badly), which then allowed me to get the bottom traced and cut out, and the bottom butt blocks installed. Continue reading “More Lazy Weekend Canoe Progress”
My first launch last year was in March, and I am really ready to get back out on the water. Of course, part of the problem is that I haven’t had enough time to get my boat projects finished. I still haven’t finished the Lazy Weekend Canoe and the leeboard to my PDR is in pieces. Not to mention the fact that everything could use a bit of sanding and paint.
I was hoping to have a new, much larger sailboat ready for this season, but right now I would settle for one boat that was actually ready to get in the water.
I’ve been really worried about joining pieces of wood with the Lazy Weekend canoe. I have already written, not one, but two articles on joining plywood. I was even more concerned about joining long pieces of lumber.
Yes, I realize that seems unlikely, but it is still true.
I had hoped to get around needing scarf lumber for this build. After all, the longest piece that I needed was 16 feet, and my local Lowes has plenty of lumber that is as long as that. Unfortunately, one of my gunnels had a tight knot in it. It didn’t take hardly any pressure at all for the gunnel to break. Continue reading “Scarf Joints”
One of the major reasons that I built a Puddle Duck Racer, and then a Mouse Boat was that both of these boats are under 8 feet long. That meant that I could easily purchase lumber that was as long or longer than the length of the boat. I did this because I assumed that joining pieces of plywood or timber was difficult.
It certainly seemed difficult. Most books on boat building spend a significant amount of text on the subject, and the Internet is full of jigs and strategies for scarfing lumber and plywood. Pre-built kits get around the need for scarfing plywood with fancy cutouts that allow the pieces to fit together like puzzle pieces. A bit of fiberglass and resin over the top and the joint becomes the strongest part of the sheet. Of course, I knew right away that this sort of precision was right out for me. Not to mention the fact that I want to steer clear of epoxy so that I feel more comfortable getting kids involved. Continue reading “Butt Joints (in Plywood)”
Another weekend, a bit more progress on the Lazy Weekend Canoe.
I didn’t have a lot of time, but I did manage to put together just enough time to put the chine logs on. Bending the chines did reveal that one of the pieces of lumber that I hoped to use as a chine log had a big knot it in near the end. I broke the piece testing it. There is no way that it would have bent to the shape that I needed. That means that I am going to need to scarf some lumber. I am currently drawing up a jig in Librecad that should allow me to easily cut the scarfs that I need. We will see how that goes. Continue reading “Lazy Weekend Chine Logs”
I made a little more progress on the Lazy Weekend canoe this weekend. I only had about an hour to spend on it, but I got in the rest of the cleats for the seats, and I managed to attached the stems. Continue reading “Still Not a Boat”